On behalf of CAROCP, I welcome you to the 2016-2017 school year! This association includes institutions from the entire state of California and represents the interests of students served in Career Technical Education (CTE) programs.
This will be another pivotal year for CTE and for CAROCP. A few highlights of the most recent CAROCP supported accomplishments include:
- A signed 2015-16 California budget that will provide an additional $900 million for CTE over the next three years
- AB 108 budget bill language in support for Federal Financial Aid for Adults in Career Training programs that will ensure the continuation of millions of Federal dollars to adult students in CTE programs
- Development of high quality CTE language that was included in the signed AB 104 budget trailer bill
- Secured bipartisan legislative support for CTE
- CAROCP Fall Conference with approximately 300 attendees
- Expanded CTE voice in Sacramento to build a foundation as new recommendations for college and career readiness standards are being discussed
- Regional professional development provided to support CTE professionals at the local levels
Looking ahead, the CAROCP Executive Board and membership were busy in June creating a strategic plan that will guide the ongoing and critical efforts that will ultimately build CAROCP into a more inclusive, stronger, and more valuable association, and support member institutions to better serve CTE students in California. Strategic priorities include objectives related to:
- Mission clarification to better communicate the value of the association to all CTE students
- Data collection and common reporting of the impact of CTE programs on California students and economy
- Legislative input on future funding for CTE
- Structural changes to membership options to allow for a more inclusive association and increased membership
- Sharing of best practices in Human Resources to support consistency in practice to ensure a strong connection and pipeline of industry professionals in California classrooms
You can expect to receive important and timely information from CAROCP and your input and assistance will be very important to assisting the organization in reaching its goals.
Members are valued and divergent opinions are important as we collectively address emerging issues related to CTE in California.
CTE in California has been delivered through the Regional Occupational Centers and Programs for over 45 years. Over this time, there have been a myriad of changes and challenges. Challenges become opportunities when we all unite in a common effort. It is critical that we reach out and engage our colleagues across the state that are committed to CTE and encourage them to unite with us.
Welcome to CAROCP!